Fundraising for the U of M
Donating to a crowdfunding page
- Are gifts made on this website tax deductible?
- All gifts made on this site are 100 percent tax deductible.
- Are there fees associated with gifts made through this website?
- An admin fee will not be taken off of U of M crowdfunding donations.
- Where does the money go?
- Funds raised on this website go to the University of Minnesota Foundation fund listed on each fundraising page, located on the top left under the photo or video.
- Where does the donor data go?
- Donor data, such as name, address, email, gift amount, fund, etc. goes into the U’s donor database, allowing for timely receipting and gift acknowledgement.
- How does a monthly recurring donation work?
- Will a monthly gift from each month show up on a crowdfunding page total raised?
- No, only the first gift is counted on the page.
Creating a crowdfunding page
- Who can make a fundraising page?
- Anyone with a love for the U—donors, alumni, staff, students, faculty, patients, sports fans—wishing to raise money for an existing U of M Foundation Fund.
- I am under the age of 18; can I still fundraise for the U of M?
- No matter what age you are, you can make a difference. If you are under the age of 18, the U Foundation requires signed parental consent. You can find that consent form here.
- How do I start a fundraising?
- Making an impact is easy, and we are here to help you every step of the way. To get started, click here.
- I want to fundraise as part of an event I’m hosting. Are there any tools to help people plan events?
- What is the page review and approval process?
- You will begin by submitting your idea to the site administrator here. Once we’ve reviewed your idea, we will send you a temporary login to our website so you can finish building your fundraising page. After you have completed your page, a site administrator will review it within 2-3 business days. If not approved, you will be notified via email for the reason. For more information around site terms, click here.
- How do I indicate which U of M cause I want to back?
- When you begin creating your fundraiser, you will be required to enter the U cause you want to support. The site administrator will then match up the cause with an existing U of M Foundation fund as part of the approval process. If there is any uncertainty about your intent, the site admin will reach out to you.
- Can I incorporate a video into my fundraising page?
- You can embed YouTube and Vimeo videos into your fundraising page. The URL formats for video include:
- Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wuWnl4O7CM!
- Youtube: https://youtu.be/_wuWnl4O7CM
- Vimeo: https://player.vimeo.com/video/43883589
- Can I choose a monetary goal, or participation goal?
- As you set up your page, you can either choose a dollars raised goal, or donor goal in the “Goals and Timeline” tab.
- Can I use the crowdfunding site to accept registration payment for my event benefiting the U?
- The U of M crowdfunding site cannot accept any type of event registration payments or fees, due to possible tax implications for receipting the funds. If you’re organizing an event and wish to create an online event registration, please contact U Ticketing.
Editing your crowdfunding page
- Can I change my fundraising goal amount?
- Absolutely! To change your goal amount, log into your URaiseMN account. Click on the campaign you wish to edit and select “Edit Campaign” from the dropdown menu. Then, select the “Goals and Timeline” tab. You will then be able to edit your goal amount.
- Can I change the photo on my page?
- To change the photo on your page, log into your URaiseMN account. Click on the campaign you wish to edit and select “Edit Campaign” from the dropdown. Then, select the “Banner Image” tab. Please note, photos must be sized 960x400px.
- Can I change the email address associated with my URaiseMN account?
- To change the email address associated with your fundraiser, log into your account, find your campaign, and select “Personal Info.”
- How do I provide updates on my fundraising page?
- Once logged into your account, click on the campaign you wish to edit and choose “communications” from the dropdown menu. Then, click on “Create New Communication” to add an update to your fundraising page.
Donations to your crowdfunding page
- How will I know if someone makes a gift to my page?
- When you log into your page, you should be able to look and see your list of donors. Please be sure to thank them.
- What if someone gives me cash or check to contribute to my fundraising effort?
- The U of M Foundation will gladly accept these gifts to the U cause you’ve chosen to support. If you have checks or cash that you wish to contribute to your U fundraising cause, please fill out this form and follow the mailing instructions.